Sunday, September 25, 2005


My new favorite thing is cracking eggs into cooked rice. While browsing through Vegetarian Cooking for Everyone I came across a recipe for "Eggs and Rice" which is essentially that: cooking some rice, then cracking an egg into a bowl and beating it with salt, pepper and herbs, then dropping the frothy egg into the rice, stirring quickly, and voila! the egg cooks from the heat of the rice! This sounds pretty bland, but the variations are endless. You can add any veggies, cheeses, herbs, spices or fake soy meat you want. I am so excited about this because I am always in need of a quick meal to make after work or the gym, when I am starving and the allure of stuffing myself on Bearitos and salsa is overwhelming. So this fits the bill. Yeah!

My first attempt at this recipe, I used salt, pepper, herbs de provence, fresh grated romano cheese, butter and some chopped scallion for garnish. Mmm-Mmm. Then G cooked up a Boca burger and slapped that on top, and a meal was born. Yes, I see many evenings of eggs and rice in the future. Lets see how long this lasts before I get totally sick of it!

In terms of the Madison book, it's terrific, albeit a little on the fancy side. I'm more of a Moosewood girl, especially the low-fat favorites cookbook. My mom bought me Quick Vegetarian Pleasures years ago, and it's one of my favorite cook books. It has the best recipe for chocolate cake ever!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home