Monday, October 08, 2007

Pumpkin Polenta with Tofu


When I saw this recipe in Edible Rhody, I got very excited. I had never used pumpkin in anything but a dessert, so I was excited to try it in a main course. The original recipe called for chorizo, but I replaced it with tofu. I did, however, buy some Niman Ranch chorizo to cook separately. I also used vegetable broth instead of chicken broth. Also, I only used about a cup and a half of the pumpkin, not the whole can (the recipe I'm linking to is slightly different than the one in Edible Rhody, which says it is adapted from a Rachel Ray recipe, probably this one).

The manchego cheese is a wonderful, creamy addition to the polenta. I had never eaten manchego before, and now I love it!

I made the tofu, onion, and bean mixture ahead of time, then when I was ready to eat I made the polenta so it would be fresh. The polenta seems to be keeping well in the fridge, though. I had some this afternoon with some of the chorizo. I had never had chorizo before either, and the spiciness really completed the mellow pumpkin. I will use some red pepper flakes in the tofu version the next time I make it.

Another wonderful fall meal. Highly recommended!

1 Comments:

Blogger Kerry said...

I made this tonight. It is delicious. I used tofu, and was out of black beans. I have been trying to find lots of pumpkin/ squash recipes since it's a winter vegetable and keeps a long time. S0 far I've made pumpkin soup (Moosewood Daily Special), pumpking bread or muffins (Joy), and pumpkin gnocchi (Veg Times Cookbook, substitute the potatoes). I want more!

6:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home