Monday, February 18, 2008

Winter Strawberries


I've never had such red, juicy, flavorful strawberries in the middle of winter before! I picked these beauties up at Whole Foods. They are from Astin Strawberry Exchange in Plant City, Florida, which, according to the website, is the "winter strawberry capital of the world." I believe it! Doesn't look like the farm is organic, but I'm willing to overlook that. I had just seen a show on Food Network about strawberries, and they very simply said, if they don't smell like strawberries, they won't taste like strawberries. I cracked open a container, took a whiff, and lo and behold, my nostrils filled with the lovely odor of strawberries. I usually do not buy strawberries in winter as they tend to be white and flavorless. But not these. Definitely pick some of these up if you can find them!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home