Monday, September 11, 2006

Broccoli Au Gratin


So I've just read Appetite for Life, about Julia Child. It was a little dense, but it was good to read about someone so inspiring and such a cultural icon. She really changed the world, and deserves every ounce of her reputation. Kathleen read the other one, My Life in France, which might be a funner read, but this one is very comprehensive. Then I rented The French Chef on Netflix to watch her in action. She is hilarious. It's gotten me back into cooking a lot. I'm not about to try Beef Bourguignon or Coq au Vin (me not being into cooking meat, let alone eating it), bit it's STILL inspiring. I did try her simple bread recipe, and was very happy with it. This leads me to my discovery of a veggie/french recipe: Broccoli Au Gratin (Sadly, I found this recipe on emeril.com, who, by the way, stole a lot of his antics from Julia. But who is original anymore anyway, right?) Good stuff.

1 12 oz bag of broccoli and cauliflower from Trader Joe's
6 Tablespoons butter
1/3 cup flour
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
3 cups milk
6 oz cheddar cheese
2/3 cup bread crumbs
1 Tablespoon Creole seasoning
1/4 cup olive oil
Salt

Preheat oven to 375.
Cook the broccoli & cauliflower in boiling water - 5 min. Drain.
Butter a casserole dish. Arrange the veggies in it.
Melt butter, add flour and whisk. Add salt & cayenne.
Gradually whisk in the milk and cook for 4 min or until thick.
Whisk in cheese.
Pour cheese sauce over veggies.
Combine bread crumbes, olive oil, and Creole seasoning.
Spoon over the dish.
Back for 30 min.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home