Sunday, October 29, 2006

Sunday Dinner (and Monday lunch, and Monday dinner...)


Turkey meatloaf from the Weight Watchers New Complete Cookbook, and baked macaroni and cheese from Joy of Cooking: All About Pasta and Noodles, with a glass of carrot orange juice.

Since I became vegetarian when I was 15, I have never, as far as I can remember, ever in my life cooked meat until now. The idea of "ground turkey" repulses me, and kneading the dough I felt like Pee-Wee when he is saving the snakes from the buring pet store - freaked out and on total autopilot, trying not to look at what I'm doing. The end result though, I have to say, was pretty darn good. I also made a parmesean and breadcrumb crust for the top, which was crispy and delicious. I'm glad I consulted my mom before I made it, because she balked at the inclusion of a cup of milk and told me to leave it out. Glad I did - it would have been a soggy mess. Not sure why it called for that. I'm going to fool around with the recipe even more next time, replacing the turkey with brown rice and lentils - I'm determined to make an edible version of the laughable vegetarian staple "lentil loaf."

For the mac and cheese I used Cabot 50% fat-free cheddar, which, while better for you than full-fat cheese, is basically flavorless rubber. It tastes good when snacking, but I have to say I wouldn't use it again for making mac and cheese. I also used fat-free milk. Next time, it's all fat all the way!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home