Monday, April 23, 2007

Black Lentils


I found these black lentils at Trader Joe's and thought I'd give them a try. They look very cool, almost like black caviar. They are easy to make and delicious. Lentils are legumes that are high in fiber, folate, iron, protein and many other nutrients. They are one of the "World's Healthiest Foods." They reduce cholestorol, are good for the heart, and are very good for digestion - if you know what I mean. See lots of facts about lentils here. Lentils also soak up flavors easily. I'm not sure if black lentils have their own separate fun facts, but I bet that black color has some added benefit.

To make these I started by sauteing 1/2 an onion (chopped), 2 cloves of garlic (chopped), and olive oil in a big pot. I added 2 cups of lentils, 3 cups of vegtable stock, salt, pepper, soy sauce, and lots of spices. This simmered, covered, for 30 minutes and voila. Very popular with the coworkers who keep asking me what they are and how to make them.

Next I will try a lentil recipe from my Russian coworker that includes dried cranberries and raisins. Yum.

3 Comments:

Blogger K said...

Do you mix anything into the lentils, like vegetables, or do you just eat the lentils as is?

4:34 AM  
Blogger Kerry said...

I bet they'd be good with sauteed or steamed carrots, potatoes, maybe some celery, broccoli, who knows? You could probably mix them with lots of stuff...

9:31 PM  
Blogger K said...

or make tacos or burritos with them. Yum...

5:28 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home