Sunday, July 15, 2007

One-Eyed Salmon Burgers with Pepper Relish


The "one-eyed" comes from the fact I made this while recovering from my PRK surgery in my left eye. I learned the hard way NOT to chop onions one day after having PRK! I thought the protective contact they put on my eye would have, well, protected my eye from the onion like my normal contacts do, but it didn't. Boy did it not! My eye has never hurt and watered so much from an onion I thought I had totally ruined my surgery. I managed to recover from the onion and finish the dish, and I'm glad I did.


The pepper relish is from At Home with Magnolia. It is so easy and delicious I know I am going to be making this to put on all sorts of things. I simply chopped up one red pepper, one yellow pepper, and one small onion in my Cuisinart mini-prep and cooked it all in one tablespoon of unsalted butter and one tablespoon of olive oil for a half hour, then added salt pepper to taste. The recipe called for a Vidalia onion, but I used a regular onion and I'm glad I did because the relish was sweet enough without it. Next time I will also throw in an orange pepper, for variety and also for a larger yield, as it didn't make very much.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home