Tuesday, July 03, 2007

Reading...


I'm in the middle of this book, What to Eat, by Marion Nestle. I had to return it to the Seattle Public Library, but I decided to buy it from amazon since it's so good. It completely sucked me in once I started it. Very knowledgeable Nutrition Professor Marion Nestle takes you through the supermarket product by product and has stories about how the food industry attempts to mess with your mind. Think there's a friendly company out there that innocently just wants you to buy their food? No way. Full of facts like this one: countries with lower rates of osteopearosis generally do not consume milk. Yet the dairy industry makes you think milk is the best source of calcium. Folks in these countries are likely to get their calcium from vegetables. Look at cows. After they stop drinking their mothers' milk, they eat mostly grass, not milk. But they are able to have strong bones and support that large frame. The message so far: eat organic, eat local, mostly plants, and nothing you can't pronounce.

1 Comments:

Blogger K said...

Oooh I want to read it!!

5:30 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home