Sunday, June 17, 2007

Spaghetti with Strawberries


My roommate picked up these lovely strawberries from the Union Square greenmarket at the same time New York Magazine ran a recipe for Spaghetti with Strawberries, so I had to give it a try.


Here are the strawberries releasing their juices into the olive oil. So pretty!


In goes the balsamic. I wasn't sure how long it would take to reduce, so I just cooked it until it started to become kind of sticky and syrupy. I think it took about 20 minutes. I probably could have reduced it further, but I was afraid of burning it.

Enter the tomato puree. Next time I will definitely seek out the tomato puree that they recommend, made from San Marzano tomatoes. I used Redpack and it wasn't very flavorful.

The finished product was not very good looking (red sauce on pasta in a red bowl with no garnish), so no pic, but it tasted good, and has tasted better with each passing day as many dishes are wont to do. Black pepper, salt, and fresh grated parmesan are key for this dish. Definitely will try this again with better tomato puree.

2 Comments:

Blogger K said...

I have to say, this dish really grew on me as I ate it throughout the week, and I actually can't wait to make it again, this time with better tomato puree.

5:36 PM  
Blogger Parisbreakfasts said...

That is one crazy idea for strawberries!
Gotta be a first ever

5:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home