Saturday, June 09, 2007

Locavore Snack

For Kerry's last day in NYC, we decided to make ourselves a yummy locavore snack.


We went to Stinky and picked up a Hudson Valley Camembert Square and a locally-made baguette. The cheese was incredibly buttery and melty. It tasted better the further I dug into the square.


We then went across the street to Smith and Vine where the gentleman recommended a bottle of 2005 Tocai Friulano from Millbrook Winery in Millbrook, NY. Delicious! Definitely buying this stuff again. And we walked to pick everything up, further decreasing our carbon footprint for the afternoon, which I suppose makes up somewhat for Kerry's flight back to Seattle this evening!

Eating locally feels and tastes good. I'm going to try and do it more often, especially with the farmer's markets around now. Stinky and Smith & Vine are great in that they label all their products with a little flag to show you what country it comes from, then the label tells you specifically where in the country it's from. Makes it easy to scan the goods for an American flag (or whatever country you want) then take it from there.


Our desert, however, was not local. We dug into a Polish chocolate bar from an amazing Polish chocolate shop in Greenpoint called Stodycze Wedel, on Manhattan Ave. Piles of Polish candy bars. I was swooning.


I had no idea what I was buying, and the women behind the counter had no interest in telling us what anything was despite our cries of "Wow! What's this?" "I wonder what this is!", but when I saw this beautiful red, gold, and beige wrapper I knew I needed it for my collection. Turned out to be an intensely creamy dark chocolate. Yes!

2 Comments:

Blogger McPolack said...

Firstly, happy extra belated birthday!

Secondly, I'm glad to hear my people make a fine dark chocolate candy bar.

11:32 AM  
Blogger Kerry said...

I must say I don't like the graphics or the website for Stinky. It's such a cute little shop that deserves more than to come off like a sesame street skit.I hope that doesn't throw people off too much.

5:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home