Saturday, May 21, 2005


Today G and I stopped off at Cafe Frida for an afternoon margarita and discovered the bartender freaking out, trying to make a virgin mojito for a pregnant woman. That's like asking for a virgin hotdog! At one point he took a sip of his concoction and cried "Aye chihuahua!" and dumped the whole thing out and started over. He was making it in a blender, so it looked like guacamole slush. After about 5 or 6 tries he finally nailed it, and he let us try the result. I've never had a mojito because I don't like rum, and I'm not fond of minty drinks, but I gave this one a try and was pleasantly surprised: the mint was really fresh and it was nice and icy cold. Really refreshing. Seems like fresh mint is the key. As you all surely know, you don't make a classic mojito in a blender. This recipe for "Frozen Mojito Slushes" sounds like what the bartender was aiming for. I'm not a big fan of adding frozen aides or sorbets to drinks, however - they are too sugary and artificial tasting. I'm sure some nice fresh-squeezed lime juice and plain old ice would work well in this recipe instead.

1 Comments:

Blogger Kerry said...

I was going to make raspberry mojitos for memorial day but no liquor stores were open. Maybe raspberry rum would be smoother than the original.

4:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home