Saturday, June 03, 2006

Hot Lunch Book Shelf: My Life in France by Julia Child

I don't believe in twisting yourself into knots of excuses and explanations over the food you make. When one's hostess starts in with self-deprecations such as "Oh, I don't know how to cook..." or "Poor little me...," or "This may taste awful...," it is so dreadful to have to reassure her that everything is delicious and fine, whether it is or not. Besides, such admissions only draw attention to one's shortcomings (or self-perceived shortcomings), and make the other person think, "Yes, you're right, this really is an awful meal!" Maybe the cat has fallen into the stew, or the lettuce has frozen, or the cake has collapsed - eh bien, tant pis!"

Right on! From My Life in France by Julia Child.

This book is absolutely lovely: Child is a wonderful writer and storyteller, and the book is filled with gorgeous black and white photos her husband took of them in Paris. Highly, highly recommended (and I'm only on page 70!)

2 Comments:

Blogger McPolack said...

I lucked out and got to the library the day it arrived on the shelf and so was the first to check it out. I loooooooooooooved it. JC rocks!

2:49 PM  
Blogger K said...

I love how she says "cookery bookery"! She totally rules!

5:50 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home