Saturday, November 11, 2006

Homemade Chinese Take-Out

I adapted a recipe for beef and brocoli stir-fry and used seitan instead of beef. I was pleasantly surprised to find out that seitan marinates quite well. The marinade consisted of soy sauce, garlic, ginger, sesame oil and a pinch of cayenne pepper. After you marinate it you pour the marinade into a bowl and add some cornstarch to thicken it. Stir-fry the seitan for a little while, then dump the seitan into a separate bowl. I put the broccoli florets in the fry pan with a little water, covered, and steamed them. Then I dumped the seitan back in the pan with the broccoli, poured the sauce over it, heated it up, sprinkled with scallions, and then it was done. I made two batches and after about my fourth serving I was so sick of it I ended up throwing the rest away. It tasted great, but my taste buds were numb from eating the same thing four times in a row.

1 Comments:

Blogger Kerry said...

Yum. I wish Trader Joe's sold seitan, since that's the only place I can afford to shop these days. When I see it at the organic market it seems like such a delicacy. I guess you can make it too by boiling dough in broth for a long time. Maybe I'll try that.

4:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home