Monday, November 12, 2007

On Plastic Bags

When faced with the "paper or plastic?" question at the grocery store, I take plastic. Why? Because I use plastic bags from the grocery store as my garbage bags at home. That way I don't have to buy boxes of garbage bags. It's great that you can get paper bags at the grocery store...but then don't you just have to buy plastic garbage bags for your garbage? Maybe we could save the trees used to make paper bags by all using plastic grocery bags for garbage bags. Yes, they are small and you'd have to take the garbage out more, but I haven't found it to be so much of a hassle. I guess I'd just like to counter the cresting anti-plastic grocery store bag movement with idea that they can also be used as garbage bags, hence saving trees in the process by not getting paper bags at the grocery store.

As a side note, according to the Rhode Island Resource Recovery Corporation website, Rhode Island is the only state with a plastic bag and plastic film recycling program. That's kinda cool.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

We bring our own fabric tote bags to the co-op. They keep track of how many fabric bags are used and do a calculation of how many trees are saved for each newsletter. When I have to go to Hannaford for the items that I can't find at the co-op (which isn't many these days), I ask for paper. We can only recycle our newspapers in Concord if they are bundled in brown paper bags. So it is kind of recycling both at the same time. On the occasion that we get plastic bags they seemed to get used some how. They are handy if the numbers are not out of control. I should note we have two dogs and live in the city...

11:45 AM  
Blogger Kerry said...

Seattle and Bellevue recycle plastic bags here, but not the rest of the state. I do use plastic bags for cat litter disposal, so I ask for plastic about once a month, but otherwise I bring cloth bags to the store and get a discount. I think San Fran has banned then altogether. Here's an intersting article. http://www.commondreams.org/headlines04/0721-04.htm

7:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home