Saturday, February 10, 2007

No More Land Animals

This article about "unlaid" eggs in the NY Times turns my stomach. Really, truly sounds disgusting. It's interesting how the chef who called them "embryonic" eggs on his menu had to change it to "immature" eggs since people were "balking." So, as soon as the true nature and origin of the food is obscured THEN it's ok to eat. Out of sight out of mind. Probably why you never see the word "slaughtered" on any menus.

This is a really good example of why I've stopped eating meat again. Unlike the customers of "immature" eggs, I can't just put the origin of my food out of my mind with a simple vocabulary sleight-of-hand. I know it's dead animal flesh, I could never really get over that fact. I've been eating meat for about six or seven months now, and it's been primarily an exercise in guilt and torment. Each time I ate a piece of chicken or a turkey sandwich, I felt terrible. Yeah, it tasted ok, but it made me feel bad. I became vegetarian at age 15 for ethical reasons, and now, in my 30s, my vegetarianism is a combination of ethical, environmental and health reasons. No doubt about it, eating meat made me gain weight.
I have decided to continue eating fish, however. So, perhaps that does not make me a true vegetarian, along with the fact that I use leather shoes, belts, and bags. Call it what you want, I am no longer eating land animals!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home